Nivelco Process Instruments for Water Treatment Plants – Potable Water Production
The production wells are drilled in ground layers rich in water, the pumps are lowered into the wells to pump the raw water to the central water treatment facilities.
- Measuring tasks:
- Continuous level measurement of the well
- Temperature measurement of the water
- Hydrostatic pressure (water level) of the production well
- Flow of the produced water
- Dry-run protection of the pumps
- Hydrostatic level transmitters that combine level and temperature measurement: the NIVOPRESS N transmitter family.
- Piezoresistive pressure transmitters: NIVOPRESS NZK types
- Water input measurement: ISOMAG electro-magnetic flow meters
WATER TREATMENT PLANT
The raw water pumped from the production wells contains different organic and inorganic materials. These materials have to be removed from the water. Removal is done either by mechanical filters or by adding coagulant materials to the water to help precipitate the contaminating materials. The resulting slurry is separated in settling tanks. The clean water is often passed through sand or other final filtration stages.
- Pressure measurement with NIPRESS type pressure transmitters
- Level measurement with EchoTREK ultrasonic level transmitters
- pH measurement of the clean water with AnaCONT analytical instruments
- Low/high level switching with NIVOSWITCH or NIVOMAG level switches
WATER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM
To move water out to the distribution system and to the customers, the pressure in the system has to be increased. This is done by booster pumps, water towers or air charged pressure vessels with compressed-air pumps.
- Pressure control at the compressed-air pumps with NIPRESS pressure transmitters and UNICONT controllers
- Water level control at the compressed-air pumps with NIVOCAP level transmitters and UNICONT controllers
- Water level measurement in the reservoir or watertower with EasyTREK ultrasonic level transmitters from either the top or the bottom of the water tower with NIVOPRESS D type hydrostatic level transmitters